Thursday 16 October 2014

Matilda The Musical

have just recently come back from London where I went to see Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre. I had never seen the show before but it had been recommended to me many times.

Cast - Children 

Matilda - Tasha Chapple
Bruce - Arthur Yamaguchi
Lavender - Polly Grace Coombes
Nigel - Denzel Eboji
Amanda - Kira Caple
Eric - Rory Toms
Alice - Robyn Ashwood
Hortensia - Annabel Otterburn 
Tommy - Joshua Cameron

Adults

Doctor - Tommy Sherlock
Mrs Wormwood - Kay Murphy
Mr Wormwood - James Clyde
Michael Wormwood - Joshua Wyatt
Rudolpho - Jason Winter
Mrs Phelps - Lisa Davina Phillips
Miss Honey - Lara Denning
The acrobat - Charlotte Scott
The Escapologist - Antony Lawrence
Miss Trunchbull - Craige Els

Matilda is a stage musical based on the novel of the same name by Roahl Dahl. It was written by Dennis Kelly, with musical and lyrics by Tim Minchin.

Since seeing Matilda I have definitely added it to my list of favourite musicals. It is hilarious, magical and moving. We were sitting right in the front row for the performance that I was at, and I didn't see anyone put a foot wrong. The children in the show are wonderful, and you can tell how well rehearsed ever single number is.

Matilda is a fabulous family show. It has strong tunes, great lyrics and enough funny moments to make even the most revolting child laugh. Tasha Chapple was a great Matilda, who had a lot of talent and it was clear that she was having a lot of fun on the stage. James Clyde and Kay Murphy are memorably vile as Matilda's vulgar parents. Lara Denning also stands out with her great voice as the sweet and kind teacher who helps Matilda.

For me, it was Craige Els as Trunchbull who very nearly stole the show. Els' comedy timing makes Agatha Trunchbull both terrifying and hilarious all at once and is the cherry on the cake of this wonderful production.

Overall, Matilda is a brilliant show that I cannot recommend highly enough. The songs stand out both on their own but also blend well into the show. If you ever get the chance to see this musical I urge you to do so.









2 comments:

  1. Excellent review!
    I'm guessing your autocorrect turned Hortensia into Horrendous ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out! I was writing this on the train home from London so I was pretty tired and must not have noticed! I have changed it now :)

      Delete